Orange Leaf Media

Orange Leaf Media
Visit Our Other Network Member Sites

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Will it be Cotton?



I have to say that most times I really love the drive from Brownsville to Corpus Christi. I used to think that the drive was so boring, with nothing to look at. Maybe it's just me getting older, but now I don't feel that way at all! I've gotten to see the drive in the winter and now the spring! I have enjoyed seeing all the beautiful wildflowers and have hundreds of photos! Now, the fields are being planted and I can wonder about what crops they are!

Cotton is one of the most visible crops in the Valley. While cotton was grown in the 1890's, it did not reach commercial production levels until the 1920's. Cotton often constitutes the largest percentage of acreage devoted to one crop. Some of the major vegetable and melon crops are also grown in the Rio Grande Valley, including cabbage, onions, carrots, peppers, broccoli, cantalopes and honeydew melons.

I'm excited to see what crops I'll see on my drives back and forth!

Photos taken with a Nikon D5000 18-55mm lens.




No comments:

Post a Comment